As many in the LGBTQ community will know, travelling can sometimes be a daunting task. It can be difficult to know whether a destination will be welcoming and inclusive, and even if it is, it can be tough to find like-minded people to connect with. That’s where gay-friendly apps can come in very handy! These apps can help you find LGBTQ-friendly businesses, events, and communities in your destination, as well as connect you with other LGBTQ travellers. So what options are there? Well here are 10 suggestions to check out and considering downloading onto your phone before your next trip.
- Grindr: This is of course the well-known dating app for gay and bisexual men and it’s a great tool for meeting locals or other travellers in your destination. It allows you to filter by location, so you can find people in your immediate area. Plus it has a feature called “Grindr for Equality” that lists events and resources for the LGBTQ community in various cities around the world.
- HER: This dating app is specifically for LGBTQ women and it’s a great way for them to meet locals or other travellers in their destination. It has a “community” feature that allows women to find and connect with LGBTQ events and groups in the area.
- Scruff: This dating app for gay and bisexual men is similar to Grindr, but it also has a feature called “Scruff Venture” that allows you to plan your travels and connect with other LGBTQ travellers in your destination. It also has a feature called “Scruff Events” that lists LGBTQ events and parties in various cities.
- Gaydar: This dating app for gay and bisexual men will help you find guys in your immediate area, using your location to show you profiles of people nearby. You can message with them through the app so it can be a good way to meet locals or other travellers in your destination or they are also topic and location based chat rooms you can join.
- misterb&b: This app is specifically for LGBTQ travellers looking for accommodation. It allows you to find LGBTQ-friendly apartments, homes, and bed & breakfasts to stay in while you’re travelling. Many of the listings on the app are from LGBTQ hosts, so you can feel confident that you’ll be in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- GayCities: This app has a directory of LGBTQ-friendly bars, clubs, restaurants, and other businesses, as well as a calendar of LGBTQ events in various cities. You can instantly access recommended shops, gyms and more with photos, descriptions and reviews in over 236 cities around the world.
- NavidGAYtor: If you’re going to Europe this app has an up to date gay guide and event calendar for major destinations there. It also includes a hotel reservation tool with a rewards program.
- Spartacus: This app is a comprehensive guide to LGBTQ-friendly businesses and events in destinations around the world. It has a directory of LGBTQ-friendly hotels, bars, clubs, and other businesses, as well as a calendar of LGBTQ events. There are over 24K entries from 2,500 cities in 143 countries so there’s sure to be something for wherever you’re heading.
- Hornet: This is a dating app for gay and bisexual men so it can be used to find those wherever you are, but it also has a “Stories” section that has gay travel news, tips, destinations, and city guides.
- GeoSure: This app provides hyper-local safety information for wherever you’re travelling to and they even have a neighborhood-level LGBTQ safety ratings category. So if you want to be aware of the “likelihood of harm or discrimination against LGBTQ persons or groups and level of caution required at location” then this is the app for you.
These gay-friendly apps can be a great resource for LGBTQ travellers who are looking to connect with the local LGBTQ community or find inclusive businesses and events in their destination. Whether you’re looking for a places to stay and party, for like-minded people wherever you are, or to feel more comfortable and safe in your surroundings, these apps can help you find what you’re looking for. So next time you’re planning a trip don’t forget to download a few of them to make your travels a little easier and a lot more fun!